Join us for cocktails at the historic Red Feather Saloon and be transported back in time! Cocktails featuring Yukon Spirits, local Dawson City food, and more. Come dressed to impress!
- Cocktails featuring Yukon Spirits
- Pulled boar sliders with cranberry ketchup
- Pork belly canape
- Cured char with yogurt on potato and onion rosti
- Tomato, yogurt cheese, beet, herb skewer
- Boar tenderloin on herb scone with horseradish and thyme
- Jerk pork tacos with cabbage and pickled onion
- Cranberry, kale and yogurt cheese
- Local vegie platter with a variety of raw, cooked and pickled vegetables
- Berry Pavlovas
- Cranberry Shortbread Cookies
During the Klondike gold rush, Dawson had its fair share of saloons. However, once people started moving on to the next gold rush in Nome, Alaska, in 1899, Dawson’s elite began a campaign to purge the image of their town as a ‘riotous swirl of gold, whisky and women’. As a result, the government passed an ordinance in 1902 to limit the number of saloon licenses.
Simon McDonald opened this saloon in late August 1902, just before the ordinance took effect, becoming one of the last built (if not last licensed) saloons in Dawson…no new saloon licences were granted after 1905.
McDonald’s saloon was a working man’s place, catering to those who worked and lived nearby, or attended the Union Hall which was formerly just west of the building. He purchased his beer locally from Thomas O’Brien’s brewing company.
The business was reasonably profitable, but eventually, in 1910, the saloon found itself in the hands of Dell Bundy and Robert Greaves, who renamed their place the Hub. In 1915, Frank Hales bought the saloon and renamed it the ‘Red Feather’.
However, pressure from the clergy and the Women’s Christian Temperance Union to reduce the number of licences in Dawson, and a 50% increase in licensing fees, among other things, resulted in the City adopting these measures and offering an incentive plan to get people to give up their licenses willingly, offering full refund of the license fee if voluntarily terminated before the November, 1915 deadline. Frank Hales took the offer and closed the Red Feather shortly after he purchased it.
The building was acquired by Parks Canada in the early 1970s.